What Is Acupuncture
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is a complete medical system greater than 3,000 years old that is used to diagnose and treat illness. It is a superb preventive and maintenance medicine and is an excellent complementary medicine effectively treating a wide variety of health disorders.
- TCM enhances and safely integrates with all modalities of health care.
- Acupuncture is the insertion of disposable needles that are hair-thin to stimulate areas of low electrical resistance called acupoints. The intent is to correct impaired neurovascular flow and hormonal imbalances, thereby restoring health to the body and mind.
- Practitioners of TCM may also stimulate acupoints with heat (infrared or moxibustion which is herbal heat therapy), acupressure, or a gentle electrical current (electroacupuncture). Other methods used are cupping and guasha for detoxification and stimulation of circulation in specific areas. Tuina massage utilizes the principles of acupuncture without the needles and is the favored modality for children.
- Herbs act on the body to produce a balanced state of health and well-being. Herb teas and pills are gentle by comparison to conventional pharmaceutical drugs because active ingredients in herbs are not extracted and concentrated.
- Herbal prescriptions are carefully evaluated by me for any possible herb/drug interactions. Herbal prescriptions are intended only for the person prescribed. They should not be given to or shared with anyone else.
You can also read: An Introduction to Acupuncture ‘What is Acupuncture: Does it hurt?’
What Can Acupuncture Treat?
The Benefits of Traditional Chinese Medicine
TCM is very effective as a complementary treatment for acute or chronic illness and injury. It works well in conjunction with conventional, Western Medicine.
General Health Maintenance
Seasonal treatments help prepare your body and mind for changes in weather, time and stress. Acupuncture and herbs can boost your immune system, balance the hormonal and nervous system, and keep you mentally and emotionally strong and balanced.
Relief for Stress, Anxiety, and Depression
TCM provides excellent support for stress induced symptoms such as anxiety and depression. Acupuncture and herbs significantly alleviate:
- Anxiety Attacks
- Emotional Instability Absentmindedness
- Mental Fatigue
By effectively supporting the balance of emotions and mental functions, acupuncture and herbs can help transform addictive, impulsive or self-defeating behavior by strengthening resolve, decreasing cravings, and calming the mind.
It can help with issues of:
- Weight loss
- Cigarette, drug and alcohol addiction
Older adults who receive periodic treatment tend to maintain steadier, more reliable strength, stamina, memory, circulation, and agility. Treatments help to increase resistance to colds, the flu and infection.
TCM boosts and maintains immunity, strength, stamina, sexual virility, fertility and a healthy prostate.
TCM helps to regulate the menstrual cycle in women with irregularities and symptoms of PMS. TCM can ease the symptoms of menopause such as excessive bleeding, hot flashes, sweats, dryness,
and much more.
It also effectively treats:
- Polycystic ovaries